Child Care Licensing

The Child Care Licensing division works with all child care facilities in Chase, Coffey, Greenwood, Lyon, Marion, Morris, Osage, and Wabaunsee Counties.

Two young girls in pigtails eating a healthy lunch.

Do you have concerns about a licensed child care provider?

All information provided is confidential. Providing your name and contact is optional, but recommended in case additional information is needed. Please note: we do not get involved in the financial matters of daycares.

First Aid/CPR

Child care providers are required to maintain certification in first aid/CPR. Classes are held monthly at CareArc for $50 per person. Call 620-342-4864 ext 5 to inquire about upcoming classes. Non-child care providers are welcome.

Child Care Licensing Frequently Asked Questions

Who has to be licensed?

With few exceptions, anyone who provides care for children (other than those related by blood, marriage or adoption) must be licensed with the Kansas Department of Health and Environment, regardless of why they provide the care or if there is advertisement of or payment for services, according to Kansas law. The law permits nanny care to be unlicensed (watching a child in their own home), relative care (up to a certain degree removed), and for someone to watching up to two children for twenty cumulative hours per week.

What are the costs of licensure?

Orientation: $20
County Inspection Fee: $60-$125
Online Training: $20
First Aid/CPR Training: $50
Fingerprint Background Checks: $15 if done at CareArc
Other costs may include child safety devices, cots/mats, bedding, books, toys, etc.

What are the minimum requirements for getting licensed?

You must be at least 18 years old and have a high school diploma or GED and be able to pass a fingerprint background check. We do not license apartments.

Where can I find the regulations?

You can find state regulations for child care facilities at the Kansas Department of Health and Environment website.

Am I required to have insurance on my daycare?

There is not a regulation requiring specific insurance for your daycare. You are required to have full coverage on any vehicles used for transporting daycare children.

How long does it take to get a license?

The process can take up to 90 days to get a temporary permit allowing you to open your daycare.